Wednesday, February 24, 2010

10 Things I Miss About Home (But Not Enough To Go Back Yet!)

1. Free internet
We pay here, per megabyte, which makes you realllly think about internet, which is not helpful when you're trying to keep in touch with a whole other world.
2. Root beer and Lemonade
Root beer does not exist here. Lemonade means Sprite. Their juice is good, and I am addicted to their sparkling cider, but still.
3.Television
Standard television here is three channels. The TV at Lover's Walk picks up one, kind of, not really. We can play DVDs, that's pretty much it.
4. Timing
Not knocking Africa, but there is a sense that when someone says they'll do something "just now," they mean within six hours or so. This is especially annoying in my boss.
5. Unlimited Mobile-to-Mobile
Like internet, phones are paid for per text or per minute on the phone. Trinity gives me R135 a month. It is never enough.
6. Being in the same time zone as the majority of people in my life
Yeahhh, being seven hours ahead of the US and six hours behind Lorenzo? Stressful.
7. Walking by myself
OK, I still DO walk by myself, but I SHOULDN'T, necessarily. While Capetown is probably no more dangerous than Hartford, not living on campus and makes it much more difficult to have that intimate, oh-I'll-be-fine-I'm-just-going-to-Mather feel, you know? Not to mention, drive up ATMS...which reminds me.
8. My car!
Things that are harder without a car: Going to class (up a mountain), going grocery shopping, going any kind of shopping, sightseeing, day trips, going out (although there's no need for a DD), and, oh, wait, EVERYTHING.
9. Knowing the Language
Yes, they speak English. They also speak 10 other official languages. And their English? Not American English. This is awesome, until I try to go grocery shopping. Then it's like deciphering a code. =)
10. You

Yes, you.
Contact me!

No comments:

Post a Comment