Monday, September 11, 2017

Cupcake (2009)

I’ve decided

I don’t care.

I don’t care if it doesn’t mean
           
            What you think it should mean,

Or if you think I don’t mean it,
           
            Or if you don’t mean it.

(OK, I care about that last one)

            But I’m tired of saying no,

No, I don’t do that, I don’t feel

            The way others feel, because I feel

The way I do and I do

            What everyone else in the world does.

I fall in love and even though

            That wasn’t supposed to happen with you

Maybe shouldn’t have happened with you

            And may not have happened to you,

I messed it up and fell for you
           
            I fell in love with you.

Because I can’t wake up not next to you,

            And I can’t stay away from you,

No matter how mad I may be with you
           
            Or how stupid I may be with you

I might even make love to you
           
            (Though I don’t want to say make love to you)

But I don’t need to say “because”

            I’m done with reasons and with rhyme.

You’re terrific, you are beautiful,

            Inside, outside, doesn’t matter.

And I can spend a thousand pages

            Explaining why I have decided.

But for now, this is all I need to say:

            I need to say what I’m sure you’ve guessed--

I love you.

            I love you?

I love you.

            That is all. 

           



 Can y'all believe I used to write love poetry? Ew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment